Garbage Disposal Repair Durham, NC
Garbage Disposal Installation
In the kitchen, food and debris fed through the sink’s garbage disposal can clog the kitchen sink drain. Few things are more frustrating than a clogged garbage disposal. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Company of Durham NC promptly repairs and replaces broken disposals, restoring convenience to your everyday life.
By keeping your disposal unit in good working order, customers help avoid many sink clogs and malfunctions. Primarily, a garbage disposal serves to dispose of food and other kitchen waste. Disposals are usually electrically-powered and installed under the kitchen sink, between the sink drain and the trap. It shreds food waste into pieces small enough to pass through a plumbing system. This mechanical piece is tied into the sanitary sewer or septic tank system.Today, approximately 47% of the homes in the United States utilize a garbage disposal. Benjamin Franklin plumbers offer installation of new disposals to plain sinks, as well as replacement of old or broken disposal units.
Our professional plumbers know that kitchen disposals play an important role in municipal waste disposal, public health, sanitation, and environmental concerns. In fact, scraps of food comprise between 10% and 20% of the average household’s waste. By treating food waste as a liquid (since it is roughly 70% water), your local Durham wastewater plants can more effectively process the organic solids. This also minimizes the amount of waste that will eventually end up in the landfill. So take good care of your disposal to give the environment a positive boost.
Basic garbage disposal care includes:
- Grind up a few orange or lemon peels every so often to deodorize the disposal.
- Sharpen the blades by grinding up a tray of ice cubes once in a while.
- Once a month, pour 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain, followed by 1 cup of white vinegar. When the baking soda stops foaming, rinse with hot water.
- Avoid grinding up items such as corn husks, artichokes, and other fibrous material; glass; metal; bleach and drain cleaners.
- Use cold water, not hot, while running the unit. Hot water will melt fat and grease and then congeal into a potential clog.
Should you need a garbage disposal repair, you can contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Durham, serving Durham, Wake and Orange counties in North Carolina. To schedule a repair or installation, call (919) 408-7200 or make an online plumbing repair request. Remember to ask about our on-time and 100% satisfaction guarantee.