According to the American Water Works Association, around 14% of the water used in American households is lost to leaks. Leaks don’t just waste water and drive up your water bills, however. An undetected or unaddressed leak can cause significant damage to your home.
Do You Have an Undetected Leak?
Some signs of leaks in the network of drains, pipes, and sewer lines that run through your property are fairly easy to detect. Your home may have a leak if:
- Your water bill suddenly increases.
- You hear the sound of running water even when no water fixtures or appliances are operating.
- Cracks form in cement floors, your driveway, or in your home’s foundation.
- Damp areas appear on the floors, walls, or ceilings of your home.
- The level of ground on your property becomes uneven.
- You smell foul odors emanating from walls near sewers or drains.
In many homes in Durham, an easy way to determine if there’s a leak in your plumbing system is to monitor the readings on your water meter. Make a notation of the meter’s current reading. Turn off all water fixtures, including appliances like automatic ice machines and your home’s irrigation system. After two hours, if the settings on the meter have changed, chances are that you have a leak.
Minimizing Water Damage
Left undetected, even a small leak can quickly result in thousands of dollars of damage. Leaking water not only promotes the growth of allergens like mold, mildew, and bacteria, but leads to rot and decay as well. Construction weakened by water damage can even result in the loss of your home. The sooner that you resolve leaks, the less you’ll pay for the cost of repairs.
When you need a qualified Durham plumber to identify, locate, and resolve leaks, you can’t do better than contacting the experts at Ben Franklin Plumbing of Durham. To make an appointment for our leak detection services, call us today at 919-408-7200.